Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Friday, August 26, 2011

Balancing Commitment & Trust

Scroll of the Book of ProverbsImage via Wikipedia
Welcome to another Faith Friday! 

I've bee trying to make a habit of reading the bible every morning. I managed 4 out of 5 mornings, so overall not too bad. I'm currently trying to get through Proverbs. It doesn't read like a story and I think that's why I'm having trouble getting through it. Having said that I have come across some gems through my reading. One such verse that stood out was this one: 
Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed.
                                                                                    Proverbs 16:3
I have a Tyndale Application Study Bible so I looked up the notes for this verse and here is what I found. (I sort of paraphrased what they said.)

There are different ways of failing to commit to the Lord. Some people commit their work only superficially. They say they are working for the Lord but they're really doing it for themselves. Others give God temporary control and when things start to go wrong they take back that control. Still others commit a task fully to God but they put no effort in and wonder why they weren't successful. The key is to find a balance: trusting God as if everything depended on him while working as though everything depended on us. 

I don't know about you, but I TRY to hand over the reigns of control, but always end up taking over. My husband says I'm like a bull in a china shop. (I admit, it's taken me years to try to take that the wrong way... I usually only hear the bull part and rant on how I'm not a bull.) The point is, I get a idea in my head and I run with it and I don't really take the time to think it through. I do the same thing with God. Life gets overwhelming and instead of taking all that stress to God, I try to make my life work without Him. 

While gathering info for this post I came across another verse that goes hand in hand with committing to the Lord:

Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge.                                                                                Psalm 62:8

But it's hard to trust God sometimes...isn't it? There's the one side of me that knows God can do anything. God loves me. God has a plan. But there's that doubtful side, the one that thinks I'm not good enough for God, why should he care about me? How can God love me? Sure, he has a plan, but I just want to know what it is or WHY something is the way it is. 


I've posted before about my challenges when I try to get closer to God...there's always something that gets in the way. Have you ever noticed when you are on track that life feels easier? Not that the challenges you face are gone, but they seem easier to handle. 

I don't know about you, but I'm trying harder to trust God. I KNOW He is faithful and I want to be faithful too! 


I'm trusting in God. He has a plan for my life and He has a plan for your life too! Join me in trying to have a little more faith this week. I have no doubt we'll all be surprised. 

Can't get enough of Being eLLe?
Connect with Being eLLe on Twitter at , Facebook and Google+.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thank you for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to post comments.

eLLe