Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

6 Reasons Why Women Should Lift Weights


Barbell Group Fitness Class Category:Fitness_t...Image via Wikipedia
Welcome to Training Tuesdays! Now I don't have all of the kinks worked out just yet, but that will come in time. 

1. Gain Strength (without the bulk)
As a woman and mother strength is important in my everyday tasks like lifting the kids, carrying  groceries and hauling laundry around the house. No, as a woman you won't get bulky by lifting weights. We don't have testosterone which is why women don't get bulky. 

2. Lose Body Fat
I think this is pretty well self explanatory. Who doesn't want to look better? The more muscle you gain the less room there is for fat. I've still got a long way to go, but I firmly believe weight lifting is the key to success for me. 

3. Get a Good Night's Sleep
A consistent training routine helps you to destress and enjoy a deeper sleep. There are so many benefits to getting a good night's rest. For most of my life I've struggled with falling asleep. It used to take me an hour or so to finally get to sleep. Then I had kids and I could fall asleep but would be woken several times a night. As my kids got older and started sleeping through the night I went back to having trouble falling asleep.  Since I've been weight lifting I drop off to sleep within 15 minutes and honestly, it's probably less than that. 

4. Gain Energy
Who doesn't need more energy? I'm high energy on my best days, but I'm only human...although I like to think of myself as a superwoman...I'm not really one. (shhhh don't tell) My point is that sometimes my PMDD gets the best of me and I'm completely useless. Weight lifting really does give you a boost of energy.    

5. Reduces Risk
Weight training reduces the risk of injury, back pain, arthritis, diabetes, osteoporosis, and heart disease. There are so many more I could list but I think you get the general idea. Weight lifting is good for your health! 

6. Helps with Depression 
I left this one for last because I have a lot to say about this one. Depression is something I've battled off and on for years. I know now that a lot of it was related to my period and ultimately my PMDD. Weight training reduces symptoms of depression by boosting confidence and strength.   There's such a stigma when it comes to depression but I think I'll leave that for another day and another post all on it's own. 

All in all my health has greatly improved from weight lifting and I highly recommend it. Have a great night. 

Can't get enough of Being eLLe?
Connect with Being eLLe on Twitter at , Facebook and Google+.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thank you for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to post comments.

eLLe