Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Monday, March 22, 2010

Toes

From Gray's Anatomy.Image via Wikipedia

So, last night I'm getting my kids ready for bed and throwing all the dirty clothes in the laundry room. I went to turn around and leave the kids bathroom when I caught my pinky toe on the bathroom door. After the initial blinding pain was over and I'd managed to sit down I looked at my toe. I then looked at my other toe to compare because the one I stubbed on the door looked funny.

Then I got creeped out because I was sure the toe was broken - my pinky toe was pointing in a way it shouldn't. As I tried NOT to look at my toe and tried to "walk it off" I realized this was more painful than the other times I've severely bruised my stupid pinky toe.

I had my son go get the phone so I could call my husband - poor guy rarely goes out and I call him home. Then I proceeded to put the boys to bed while hoping on one foot. Crawled up two flights of stairs and put Riley to bed too. Luckily they all went down without a fuss. Ben stopped at his parents and picked up his mom. My mother in law Kathy took me to emerg while Ben stayed home with the kids.

I hopped into the emerg and eventually ended up in a wheel chair because according to the nurse "X-Ray is too many hops". We waited a lot which I expected since a broken toe isn't really an emergency. Eventually we saw the doc and she showed me my X-Ray. My toe was dislocated with a possible fracture. So, she proceeds to tell me there are two ways of doing this. One is to have two needles stuck into my foot to numb the area first. The other is grin and bear it while she pops it back in place. I'm like let's just get it done and over with. (The idea of the needles creeped me out.)

So, doc takes me into an observation room and tells me to hold onto something and proceeds to pop my toe back in place and then tape them up. Then it was back to X-Ray to make sure it was back in place and straight.

Sure enough everything is back in place and I got to see the X-Ray to prove it. Also, since this one shows another angle we see that my toe is in fact broken, but not badly. Treatment is the same either way. Keep the toe taped up and it should heal in 3-4 weeks.

Kathy went to get the car and here was the real test...putting pressure on it for the first time since it was popped back in place and tapped. What's this? I CAN WALK! The poor guy with the leg in a brace must have thought I was crazy! In total we were only at the hospital for 3 hours which considering my toe is now in the right place and I can walk isn't too bad! It doesn't even hurt too badly today.

I have not yet tried to put shoes on, but I'm working from home Monday - Thursday so I think I'll wait until I absolutely have to! Looks like I'm going to have to wait on running for a bit.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Welcome and thank you for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to post comments.

eLLe