Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Friday, March 19, 2010

Dignity

I'd like to talk to you about something a little different today. I know the bible says to give in secret, but I want to share something with you.

There is a woman who sits on Metcalfe St in Ottawa. Her name is Mo. She's not homeless per se, but her life is on the streets. I can't explain why, but I feel drawn to her. I used to walk by her everyday when I worked at on Elgin St and I started bringing her coffee and a muffin or bagel. I've stopped to have real conversations with her.


I haven't been by to see her in a long time, between running late and working from home, but I think of her often. This morning I was early for work and went to see her. She still remembers me and even though I can smell the booze on her breath, I care.


We talked this morning, she's sick again. You see a lot of people walk by her and ignore her. People with a cold or the flu walk by her and cough on her. How hard is it to turn your head toward the street instead of the woman sitting on the sidewalk?


I've sat with her, I've hugged her when she cried and I still can't explain why she touches me so.
I have to hope that it's some sort of call from God and have faith that I'm making some sort of small difference in her life, even if it's not often.

I admit I don't feel the same about every person I see on the street and maybe I should. I do try to acknowledge their existence. I remember we had a speaker at our church who said even if you can't give them money just give them the dignity of looking them in the eye. I've kept that with me and I try to at least smile and say hello.


Hear, O LORD, and answer me,
for I am poor and needy.
Guard my life, for I am devoted to you.

You are my God; save your servant
who trusts in you.

Have mercy on me, O Lord,

for I call to you all day long.
Psalm 86:1-3

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thank you for reading my blog! I'd love to hear from you so please feel free to post comments.

eLLe